Disposing of Car Seats
Safe Kids Wisconsin's goal is to keep old, expired or damaged seats from being re-used. If you are looking to get rid old seats,
- Check the owner’s manual to see if any directions are offered.
- Dismantle the seat as much as possible before putting it in the trash.
- Be sure to cut the harness out of the seat, along with the buckle strap.
- The fabric cover also should be removed and anything else that will help deter from re-use.
- You may want to write on the plastic shell “DO NOT USE” as well.
All car seats have an expiration date that can be found on the manufacturer’s label. If there is not an exact expiration date listed, a general rule is 6 years from the manufacture date. Seats used after their expiration date may not be safe or hold up in a crash.
Car seats purchased second hand are dangerous as well. The history of the car seat is unknown and may have been involved in a crash or recalled.