Disposing of Used Car Seats
All car seats have an expiration date that can be found on the manufacturer’s label. If there is not an exact expiration date listed, a general rule is 6 years from the manufacture date. Seats used after their expiration date may not be safe or hold up in a crash.
Car seats purchased second hand are dangerous as well. The history of the car seat is unknown and may have been involved in a crash or recalled.
If you are looking to get rid of old seats (video):
- Check the owner’s manual to see if any directions are offered.
- Dismantle the seat as much as possible before putting it in the trash.
- Be sure to cut the harness out of the seat, along with the buckle strap.
- The fabric cover also should be removed and anything else that will help deter from re-use.
- You may want to write on the plastic shell “DO NOT USE” as well.