Experienced CPS technicians who are ready to help others learn how to become technicians should consider working towards becoming a certified instructor. Recertification as Instructor is required every two years.
To Become an Instructor:
- Must be a CPS Technician for 6 months to apply.
- Go to Safe Kids to find the application and requirements.
- Identify a Lead Instructor to assist with your candidacy.
- Participate as a Course Assistant for a Certification Course. Participation is required within 2 years before submission of Instructor Candidate application, but it’s preferred to be within at least 1 year before submission of application.
- Register by paying the Instructor Candidate application fee of $75 and submitting the completed application, along with four testimonials.
- Two testimonials are required for adult classroom teaching.
- One testimonial for CPS Skill and Course Assistant Completion by CPSTI.
- One testimonial for CPS Skill by CPST or CPSTI.
- Application must be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to course in which Instructor Candidate will teach.
- Must teach within 1 year of being approved as an Instructor Candidate.
- Upon successful completion of instructor candidacy, status will change to Certified Instructor.